Computer operating system requirements are essential to know before installing any operating system. A computer consists of hardware and software.
To manage these software and hardware activities, a specified program needs an operating system. Here you are going to know elaborately about different computer operating system requirements.
An operating system is software that manages all computer hardware and software resources. Often it provides a common service for computer programs.
Interestingly, the computer needs minimum requirements to run these operating systems. Sometimes people face the problem that the operating system doesn’t work properly and is not even installed. This problem may occur due to the lack of system requirements.
When the system has the minimum requirements to run this operating system, then the operating system will run; otherwise not. So the point is, a computer needs the minimum requirements to run or install an operating system. So let’s check below about which operating system requires how many conditions.
4 Usual Computer Operating System Requirements
Many operating systems are, but I will only discuss the four most common operating systems; Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, Linux, and Ubuntu. These operating systems are mostly used over the world.
- Microsoft Windows
- Apple macOS
Device System Requirements For Windows (Windows 10)
Microsoft Windows has many versions of operating systems; Windows 10 is the last version of Microsoft. Windows 10 has two editions; Windows 10 home and Windows 10 Pro; both editions require the exact system requirements. Let’s look at the system requirements for Windows 10 operating system.
- Processor Requirements: The device minimum has a 1 GHz processor or faster processor; otherwise Windows operating system will not work.
- RAM Requirements: The RAM needs a minimum of 1 GB for the 32-bit Operating system and 2 GB RAM for the 64-bit operating system.
- Hard Disk Requirements: Minimum of 16 GB of Hard Drive space needs for the 32-bit operating system, and, on the other hand, 32 GB of space is required for the 64-bit operating system. Not for the HDD; the exact requirements are needed for the SSD.
- Graphics Card Requirements: This operating system device requires a minimum of DirectX 9 or later with a WDDM 1.0 driver.
- Display Requirements: Sounds a little wired? There is a display requirement for Windows 10 operating system. The computer must have an 800×600 resolution display to manage this operating system.
Device System Requirements For Apple macOS
macOS is an owned graphical operating system developed and marketed by Apple Inc since 2001. For Apple’s Mac computer macOS was the primary operating system. The requirements for this OS are given below.
- OS X 10.9 or later.
- 4GB of memory.
- 12.5GB of available storage (OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 or later)
- Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
- Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Device System Requirements For Linux
Linux is an open-source operating system. This OS directly manages a system’s hardware resources. This operating system is becoming very popular over the world. Here are the system requirements for this operating system.
- Processor: The processor needs a 32-bit or compatible processor running at 2 GHz or more significant for this operating system.
- RAM: The RAM recommendation for this operating system is a minimum of 4 GB. Suppose the RAM is less than 4 GB, the operating system.
- Hard Disk: Need 20 GB of hard disk space to store all the operating system data: Device with OpenGL support (e.g., Intel HD/UHD Graphics).
Device System Requirements Ubuntu
Considering downloading Ubuntu on your device?. But before downloading this operating system, you need to know about the device requirements of this operating system.
Ubuntu-based on Debian, is a Linux distribution. The interesting fact about this operating system is that it is quite a lightweight operating system capable of running outdated hardware.
This operating system has three editions; Desktop edition, Server edition, and Core for the Internet. The latest edition of Ubuntu is Ubuntu 20.04. Below you are going to know about only the desktop edition’s requirements.
- Processor: We need a dual-core processor with a 2 GHz processing speed; it is the minimum requirement.
- RAM: Minimum of 4 GB of RAM needs to run this operating system on the computer.
- Hard Disk: 25 GB Hard Disk space needs to run the Ubuntu Operating system on the computer
- Display: The display needs this operating system with VGA capable of 1024×768 screen resolution.
If you have any queries, please ask me through writing in the comment box below. And Suppose you have any confusion over the minimum and recommended system requirements. In that case, we have another article for you to check out, “Minimum Vs Recommended System Requirements (2022)“.